Thursday 19 July 2012

Patchwork Inspiration

I have been struggling to find time for designing and stitching for weeks now. The time I have found has enabled to make and list one or two items, but other on-line activities have been temporarily on hold - including blogging, unfortunately.

I have recently been involved in a team challenge on Esty, in which participants submitted items for consideration, voted to choose one 'inspirational item', and then spent a few weeks producing and listing items of their own, based on the chosen design.

This lovely ipad cover, from Etsy shop WhimsyWooDesigns, was chosen as our first item:



I decided to felt and embroider a bookmark. I love the result and will enjoy using it myself, but I have decided not to list it since too many of the design elements are taken directly from the original item. Here it is anyway:


I enjoyed the process of making this bookmark, and, in the somewhat convoluted way in which my craft work tends to evolve, I decided to make a small embroidered hanging using the same techniques:


I have always enjoyed patchwork. Part of the thrill for me is the re-use of precious fabrics, combination of different materials and introduction of embellishments - I love crazy patchwork in particular. These mellow colours really appealed to me so I searched my craft room (ransacked it and, like a child with too many birthday gifts, left a trail behind me), as I assembled this combination of knitting samples and yarns, together with a sketched design for a larger piece - based on this small one:




I find myself fired with enthusiasm and I am knitting one of the elements whilst waiting for photos to load here etc. I fear this may be another day on which the house remains untidy and tea is late!


4 comments:

  1. Your bookmark is lovely and and the embroidered hanging is beautiful. The patchwork thing certainly inspired me, so thanks for arranging the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are fabulous Sue and certainly do Shirley's fabric justice. Well done !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly had some great inspiration Sue. The bookmark is very beautiful. I love the wall hanging too.

    They are both very detailed and I can see that a lot of work and love for your craft has gone into both.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sue the bookmark is gorgeous and the wall hanging too! So much detail and creativity in your designs!

    ReplyDelete