Wednesday, 22 October 2014

One listed - three to go!

It has been a couple of weeks since my last post.

This blanket has been finished and listed.

We spent a lovely week end staying in Bridgenorth and visiting the beautiful Bewdley and Stourport.

The above is the riverside at Bewdley. We still have much of the River Severn to explore, so many more week ends to look forward to.

I have made some progress on three throws/blankets - two crocheted/knitted and one stitched. This pastel one is turning out to be very pretty - I particularly like the aqua edging:

These knitted squares with crocheted edging are working out very well - I have many more crocheted flowers to make though!

There has only been a little progress on this patchwork throw - I need to find time for more stitching!

Friday, 3 October 2014

Not a Patch ......

...... on my plan for today!! (Apart from some further additions to my crocheted blanket!)

I have a stitching schedule and I'm trying to stick to it! I have been quite good. Some new bookmarks were listed as planned and I am continuing to crochet squares for my next blanket.

This morning I was feeling a little sorry for myself after a trip to the dentist. I had some phone calls I should make but no one would have been able to understand my half-frozen speech and I just felt like spoiling myself with some creative fabric therapy! In truth, my dental discomfort only persisted for a very short time, but I recovered TOO LATE!! The fabric boxes and drawers were open and chaos had ensued - happily!

I think I showed you this photo a few days ago.

The central 'patch' is from a tray cloth and the other patches from a tablecloth. Very, very similar stitching, design and colours. I am not sure if there is a correct way to design a patchwork. This is the way I'm going about it - this time at least!

I have expanded the design by moving the 'North', 'South', 'East' and 'West' patches outwards by one column/row. I now have a basic design of 5x5 patches, as shown on this rough outline:

The patches with a yellow squiggle need to be stitched from scratch and I intend to incorporate a small central motif, with embroidered blue daisies stitched to match, in each (OOps! I ought to have highlighted the four corners of the design which also need to be embroidered by me).

The central patch will be used as it is but with a border of simple squares, patched by machine stitching. It will be about 10 inches square when finished, so this has set the dimensions for the rest of the quilt.

The patches which have been moved outwards in the design will incorporate the embroidery as a 'diamond' shape. They will be made into squares with the addition of corner triangles, and the patch will then be made up to 10 inches with a squared border.

The patches which will be embroidered by me will be hand-stitched using the traditional technique of folding fabric over paper templates, using traditional block patterns. I have started to collect together the fabrics which I might use - including these vintage Laura Ashley scraps:

These other fabrics are also possibilities:

I am aiming to produce a decorative coverlet or throw. The vintage embroidered panels will be supported by backing fabric and the stitching will be carefully checked and repaired if necessary - but they will, inevitably, be more delicate than new panels. Rather than quilt through a thick wool or polyester batting to produce a warm quilt, I think I shall provide 'body' for the throw by backing it with a layer of brushed flanelette sheeting.

I shall report on progress - although it will now be slotted in between other items on my schedule - I'm beginning to feel as though I'm playing truant. 'Creating' and 'Producing' are definitely not entirely the same thing I find!

Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Tying up loose ends....

.... literally!

Having a schedule is all very well but keeping to it is rather a different matter. At least I have finished the loose ends on two items today.

Firstly this bowl from recycled T shirts. Posing first of all with a small crochet project - perfect for this - a work basket would be too large:

It is a generous size for trinkets or keys:

The base of the bowl is decorated, and neatened by a crocheted flower! The bowl will shortly be listed in my Folksy shop. 

I have made a little more progress with my latest crocheted blanket - although I've not made as many squares as my schedule requires. 

I  am supposed to be focusing on re-stocking my embroidered items - with just a little crochet in between. At least I've finished this meadow bookmark, which will shortly be listed in my Etsy shop:

I almost forgot to mention that this pincushion has now been sold and is being packaged for posting: