Thursday 3 February 2011

Pass It On!

My textile skills are accumulated, rather than formally learnt. My Mum, Auntie, magazines, books, TV and recently internet - with just a couple of adult education classes - as much for the social side of things as study. Inspiration comes from all of the above, in addition to our garden, natural landscapes etc etc. I think my brooches are quite unusual and at first, I was very unsure as to whether or not I might be the only person in the world who would like them! Perhaps because, without a formal training, I had no  idea what I should be doing, I just tried one or two to see how I could embroider them, finish them and sell them.

Whether or not our skills are formally acquired, I do feel quite strongly about passing them on to others. I have taught both my own children, at least well enough to sew on buttons (and Scout badges!).  I usually have at least one evening of sewing each term at Brownies and the girls seem to enjoy it. What they each do with their skills, whether they choose to develop them further - this is their individual choice. At least I feel I'm doing my bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment